The Australian Government is making changes to the temporary activity visa framework on 19 November 2016. New visa subclasses for temporary activity will be introduced, and applications for these visas must be lodged online through ImmiAccount from this date.
From 19 November 2016, the following visas will be closed to new applications:
- Subclass 401 Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa
- Subclass 402 Training and Research visa
- Subclass 416 Special Program visa
- Subclass 420 Temporary Work (Entertainment) visa
- Subclass 488 Superyacht Crew visa.
There will be four new visa subclasses introduced:
- Subclass 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa
- Subclass 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) visa*
- Subclass 407 Training visa
- Subclass 408 Temporary Activity visa.
*Paper lodgment will be accepted for the new Subclass 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) visa, however applicants and agents are still encouraged to lodge online.
The new framework is designed to make applying for a temporary visa easier. It will reduce red tape for business, industry and individuals by removing sponsorship and nomination requirements for specific short stay activities. A visual diagram of the changes can be found here.
Further information can be found at Temporary Activity Visa Changes.